Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Ultima III Day 4 - I -

I've been playing Ultima III a lot today and I'm not done yet! I started the day by killing some more guards. After a while I decided that it was time to explore the cities so I set off and I talked to everyone in pretty much all cities. I discovered a lot of clues about exotics (not needed I guess), the silver snake, Dawn etc. But what I REALLY wanted to know was the location of those +4 bows! At first my guess was that they probably were in that crazy thief city or something full of locked doors. So I bought a couple of keys, my first set of keys in fact, and headed there. I was disappointed to find out they didn't have the bows however I did see a whoooooole bunch of treasure chests! I took a mental screenshot of that and then headed off to the only other location where the bows could be: Dawn. I sort of remembered where the city was from the last time I played Ultima III and I had uncovered the clue about it appearing at 0,0. So I went in the forest and lucky me, just when 0,0 hit the city was right in front of me! What luck! So I entered and YES they have the +4 bows, however they cost like 6500gp! That's extremely expensive! So I was wondering what I was going to do when I noticed they have a stable in there. I asked for some horses and they tell me it's going to be 800gp? Screw that!

So I decided to steal them. I went to the right side door, unlocked it, killed the two merchants and took a horse. Next thing you know the guards are after me which I'm sort of used to by now but then something magical happened: I could outrun them. Easily. The horses were much faster than the guards! So I slipped out of there without fighting which was awesome. So at that point my mission was clear: get enough money for those bows!















At first I resorted to my old trick of going down the dungeon north of the castle for money but that was a bit slow and a bit boring by now. So I decided instead to loot that city full of treasure chests. I boarded my boat and set sail to dreams of riches and crazy powerful bows. Surprisingly most of the treasure chests at the right of the armor shop can be taken without alerting the guards which is pretty cool! However to maximize my profit before leaving I always go down and steal a couple of chests from the armor shop and then kill the three guard groups who come down once I'm discovered. Then I leave and repeat until my guys are too weak. At that point I go back to the castle, go up to the dungeon, go down to the treasure room and use the healing fountain they generously provide me. At this point I have about 8000gp so I'm going to buy my first +4 bow soon, I'm really excited!

No comments: