Monday, July 30, 2007

Ultima III Day 2 - II -

I have to admit that I am disappointed with Ultima III, it's simply not as good as I remember it to be. Design wise it is really similar to both Ultima I and II except that you are controlling a party of adventurers instead of going solo. But that's not really the source of my deception, it being more the dungeons than anything else. I simply hate the dungeons in Ultima III. This time they are literally mazes, very low res mazes that is.

The problem is that if you're going to have complicated dungeons you have to be able to show them in detail. I've played Eye of the Beholder and I liked it but you could actually see what was going on in that game. In Ultima III everything is orange and boring. There's no way you can get your bearings in such a setting. The only thing you can possibly do is map the dungeon and that's something I'm not willing to do. When I first finished Ultima III I used a walkthrough with maps so I probably didn't notice how much of a pain in the ass the dungeons were but now I sure know. I loved the dungeon in Ultima I, you didn't need to map them they were simple and they were all about combat but now this is getting out of hand. I just hope that the future Ultimas can have detailed dungeons. Remember! I don't mind dungeons if I can see where I'm going!

The other thing that bugs me once again is the absolutely crazy food consumption, especially in cities. I can't believe how much these gluttons are eating in cities! It's turning me off of exploring because while I'm exploring every nook and cranny of the cities my guys are eating like crazy. From memory the food problem becomes negligible from Ultima IV onward. I honestly can't wait.

Some good news now, I discovered that bows are still better than exotics. It makes me feel a bit better about my choice of classes. I can't imagine the destruction we will wage once we get our hands on magical bows!

Later!

1 comment:

not used said...

Try using gems in the dungeons. They'll give you a map so you don't need to do it manually. Of course they still cost gold so it won't help your food situation any.