Thursday, July 26, 2007

Ultima II Day 1 - III - and some more notes

Okay so I am sort of getting the hang of this. Thanks to Natreg for the tips, greatly appreciated :) And for your information, yes the patch fixes the 99-00 rollover so I don't need to worry about that.

At this point I understand how the gates work. I had read the manual before starting the game for the first time but when I read it again after playing for a bit it just put everything into focus. So now I can actually travel around without being confused which really helps a lot.















At first I created my typical male dwarf fighter character but I ran out of food. Everything was expensive and I couldn't seem to get anything done so that's when I realized that I would have to change my strategy. So I created a Female Elf Fighter instead. I thought about a thief for 5 seconds but I decided that the female elf was enough of a change for me. I also traded in some strength and stamina for charisma. The result is that stuff in towns is much cheaper, allowing me to get a great sword right off the bat instead of a sword. The added agility also allowed me to steal some food in towns.

Afterwards I went to the bar to ask some tips and wrote all of that down. Then I went out to fight monsters in the hope of getting a blue tassle..with no success. I'm not kidding I spent HOURS killing monsters and I was getting every freaking object in the game but never the god damn tassle. I was PISSED. Man this was so boring you cannot imagine (or maybe you can). Running around killing monsters, stealing some food, giving money to LB for HP, rinse repeat. There were boats everywhere trying to kill me and for my part I was just trying to avoid them to make sure that I could get one when I finally got my tassle. Well that moment finally arrived just when I was getting ready to go to bed. Wooo!

All of a sudden things got rosy. I was traveling the seas and totally blasting the hell out of monsters with the cannons it was awesome. I decided to check out to check out the hotel california in New San Antonio like some dude told me to in some backwater village and then I remembered that there is a guy there who can raise my stats if I give him money. However I thought for sure that he was a cleric and I could see a cleric behind a locked door..but I didn't have any keys! I ran around trying to find keys somewhere but I couldn't, so I guess you get keys by fighting monsters like with everything else but I never actually got any! At this point I realized something funny: There's nobody in this town. In most or all towns there's people walking around right? But in New San Antonio there are merchants locked behind their counters and guards. That's it. There's no one...except for this dude in Hotel California in front of the cleric's door. I thought that was suspect, he's the only accessible guy in the whole city. So I went outside, saved, then came back in and gave him some money. So I decided to give money to the guy in front of the door (I saved beforehand of course). And surprise he said ALAKAZAM! and raised my agility by four points! So it was him and not the cleric! So I gave him a bunch of money and he raised a bunch of my stats :)

At this point though I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing. I have the brass buttons for the plane...but since I have no idea what I am supposed to with it I haven't yet tried it. I have no idea what to do with the gems I'm getting nor with most of the other stuff for that matter. This is what my character looks like at this time:














So we'll see where I go from here. My plans for now will be to raise my stats at the hotel quite a bit, buy the best weapons and armor I can at the shop, try to find some keys, talk to everyone (I haven't yet really done that, I just don't have enough food and money yet to waste it walking around) and then use the plane. How come the horses are so useless? You actually use MORE food on horseback than on foot! Where's the logic in that?!

IN OTHER NEWS

There was a copy of Ultima IV for the Sega Master System on ebay and I almost bid on it but I decided not to in the end. It would have cost me $25-35 (depending on the shipping) which I thought was too much. I already have the best version of the game on the PC so to spend another $30 for another inferior version doesn't make much sense. I'll spend 20$ Canadian max on it, if I can't get it for that price I'll just play the PC version. It'll be easier to take screenshots that way :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man, do I remember trying to figure out what all the various junk you collected was for. It took me the LONGEST time to even realize that it did ANYTHING! I just thought I was suddenly able to do certain things because I'd reached the right level. The first time I accidently hit "N" and it said "You rub a strange coin..." and all the monsters froze I just about fell out of my chair.