Friday, July 27, 2007

Ultima II Day 2

Well I guess this will be the only day 2 post about Ultima II. Ultima II is certainly less exciting for me than Ultima I was, there is definitely a lot more tedium involved in this game. I take less pictures because of that and I guess I have less to comment on too. But there are a couple of things about this game I noticed:

- Dungeons are retarded. Compared to Akalabeth and Ultima I they're EXTREMELY complex so you can get lost really easily requiring you to map them if you actually want to accomplish anything. However, the dungeons seem completely useless. Everything I need to get I can get by killing monsters outside so why do I need to risk my neck inside? On top of that I just simply don't get enough torches off of monsters to go down even two levels, as a fighter I wouldn't be able to go back up. Maybe if I had picked a cleric I could cast ladder up and down spells and light spells making the trip feasible at least.

- This game truly rewards delinquent behavior. I don't see how someone could survive the early game without resorting to stealing food and even in the late game it's a big big help. Money isn't as easy to get than in UI so I'd like to spend the little I have on worthwhile stuff. Then there's the whole guard killing thing. How crazy is that? I was absolutely desperate to find some keys and since I couldn't find any I grew quite frustrated. At one point I blew a gasket and decided to go on a killing spree, I killed a guard and TADA that freaking gave me keys! Now are you telling me that I have to kill legions of guards to get keys? That's just plain retarded. I understand why Garriott received complaints from concerned mothers now :)

- This game just plain ain't that good. Well actually I already knew that but still. Honestly though it's better than I thought it was, it's actually playable which I didn't think it was but it's still pretty bad. I can't wait to be done with this. It just feels so random and there aren't any quests or things to do. You just run around kill stuff...that's pretty much it. Oh well.

At this point I have a plane which I am really happy with. I tried to take a shuttle but..I don't know what happened there seems to be a bug of some sort. The shuttle goes into hyperspace but then it sort of doesn't work? I briefly see the ztats screen and then I'm on the ground again with the tons of guard coming to get me. I guess I should try to get the power and reflect armors first in case it's anything like Ultima I (need to wear a specific suit of armor to go into space).

I'll leave you with a nice pic of me and my plane, talk to you guys tomorrow!

2 comments:

Natreg said...

heh you seem a bit lost even though there is not much else to do in the game :)

You should get clues from all the towns in all the periods

I'm pretty sure someone would told you something about a man under a tree :)



The game seems worse than the previous one, but Garriott was just using this to learn how to program, so if you compare this one with the original Ultima (the one for the apple 2, not the remake) you will see that technically it's way better.

Anonymous said...

I love that stupid plane!

The tedium of beating up monsters was alleviated for me by taking obsessive notes about everything everyone said. It's been a long time since anyone told me "Hex-e-Poo, Hex-on-YOU!" but sometimes I still hear it in the back of head.

Yeah, the dungeons and towers are useless. So in later games I tended to avoid them and focus on other things. You can imagine how well that worked in U3.