Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Ultima I Day 1 - I -


Ah Ultima I, sure brings back a lot of memories. This might very well be the first game I ever played. Back when I was a kid my dad would jack up my character to all max attributes using a trainer and I would just run amock in the world of Sosaria. I honestly don't know how many times I killed Mondain but it must have been a lot.

I finally finished the game without a trainer in the early 90's..but by using a walkthrough :| I did the same for Ultima III. I was 10, 11 or maybe 12 years old when I did it. At the time I was pretty proud of it, thinking that finishing an Ultima without the aid of a trainer was quite the feat. Eh. I also remember being very surprised at the brevity of Ultima I.

So I remember somewhat the goals of the game. Get the four gems to put into the time machine. I just have no idea how I'm supposed to get the gems, but I guess I will have to solve a bunch of quests, rescue princesses and go in space to kill some baddies. That should net me the gems.

I started off by creating my trusty Dwarf fighter which I promptly called Shogun in honor of my dog of the same name. I'm thinking that my dog is already the greatest hero the universe has ever seen so I might as well put that heroic luck on my side and name my character after him. Even the Dwarf looks like him, a stocky well built little dude. Awesome. My dog is probably more Ranger than Fighter though but I didn't have a choice. Talking about my dog, he's currently complaining because I should be feeding him right about now. I keep telling him to give me five more minutes but he's not listening darnit.

Now I was a bit surprised at the astounding speed I was building my character up. One small little trip to the dungeon and I was already pretty strong when I came out of it. I just kept going into the dungeons and pretty soon I had a lot of money to spend so I bought weapons and armor you name it I was stacked.


Look at this dark knight to the right just missing. Logical he can't touch me I'm like a superhero. HIT AND MISS SUCKER.

Oh and am I the only one who thinks it's hilarious to be able to sink frigates with a measly axe? There's no logic in that but it's still awesome!


I already have a boat, in fact I already have an aircar and the red gem. I'm progressing very quickly at this point. I'm probably going to visit every sign in existence and visit every castle for every quest and then buy a shuttle and go do some 'Star Wars' dogfighting up in the stars. Yes I did say dogfighting go Shogun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Visit "Town of Bulldozer"! I LOVE "Town of Bulldozer"! The early Ultimas had a wonderful zaniness to them, especially the names. It really scaled back starting with the Avatar concept, but it was a fair trade.