Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Ultima III Day 3

So the big theme of today's post is guard killing. Today I decided that I was finally going to try and get clues around the towns. So I grabbed a chunk of food off the grocer (again) and headed off. At first I talked to everybody in Britain and then went to Grey. At one point I entered a small room with a bunch of treasure chests and some thief attacked me! So I killed him and promptly started looting the chests using the open spell. Next thing you know I'm attacked by guards! So I'm thinking okay well I'm done..but no! I killed the first wave and that with near dead characters! At this point something flashed in my head. I thought "Holy hell I can kill those bastards somewhat easily and they give me a bunch of experience points!". So I started killing guards to get my levels up :)


Obviously it wasn't THAT easy, especially when you're doing it with characters who sometimes don't have much health to begin with so what happened happened one of my character died. Instead of reloading the last save I decided to head to the healer, I preferred that to losing 30 minutes of gameplay. However at that time I actually had a lot of money because I exploited the fact that treasure chests respawn in dungeons when you leave them. The dungeon right up north of the castle has a room filled with treasure on the second level so for about 20 minutes all I did was go down to the second level grab the chests go back up leave and then redo. I got about 3000GP quite quickly doing that and then I headed to Ambrosia for some stat raising. At first I concentrated on dexterity hoping it was going to make my characters more accurate in battle...however I'm not sure this game uses dexterity to calculate accuracy. I sure damn hope so. I'll probably repeat this many times until I get tired of doing it. I can do the important stuff later once I'm extremely strong :) Here are my current stats as of this writing:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! So glad to see someone enjoying the classic Ultimas. Ultima III was always my favorite as it seemed the most unusual and kind of scary. I remember playing it in 1984 on the Commodore 64 and enjoying it immensely.

Anonymous said...

Man, I'd love to visit Devil Guard again. It was only years later, when I was researching "Twin Peaks" that I learned Garriott had named it after a classic pulp novel by Talbot Mundy that also gave us the super-creepy Black Lodge. Well-read fellow, he was.