Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Ultima IV problems

I've spent the last hour trying to make Ultima IV work. The first logical way to play it is by patching the game with the Ultima IV upgrade. The problem with that is that it seems to be in conflict with my keyboard because most of the time the game doesn't recognize my input devices or if it does eventually it stops during gameplay. I tried running the game under dosbox but it seems even worse, however the music sounds good unlike when I try to play it under windows. I replaced avpatch with the one made for dos and it's not much different. I tried to change sound cards in the program to see if one worked better than the other. It seemed to help when I selected MPU401 instead of Roland MT32 but it sure didn't help enough. As far as I know I tried everything. I don't seem to be having any problems without the patches.

I tried to install the standalone music patch but unfortunately it's a much older version than the one in the Upgrade package and the music sounds FUNKY. The music is just ugly with that patch.

Those patches were made in like the year 2000. It's not surprising that they might be starting to struggle with more modern systems. It sure doesn't seem to work on mine.

I haven't tried to disable the vga graphics in the upgrade package though, I don't know if you can? The music sounds great in that one so if I could disable the graphics which seem to be the source of the conflicts I could have a good version on my hands...but I'll be honest I'd miss the VGA graphics. They look pretty good.

So that would leave me only one option: xu4. Now I'm a bit scared about using that program. It's still in beta mode so I'm scared of running into some crazy bugs. However the program does look excessively nice and the music is absolutely amazing. Anyways at this point it doesn't look like I have much of a choice, seems every other option has been exhausted. It's either xu4 or Ultima IV ega with no music, or Ultima IV ega with buttugly music with slowdowns in weird spots.. I'll take my chances with xu4.

2 comments:

Natreg said...

It's weird that the game does not play under dosbox...

I have never had any trouble with it.


Anyway you have other options, you could play the fmtowns version (is not as good as the VGA patched one).

Or you could play the Master System one. I guess you would like the dungeons there a lot more than in any other version.

If in the end you play the DOS version, make sure you download it from the Xu4 site, it has some bug fixes (like soldiers in Serpents hold having Sentri's dialogue instead of theirs heh).


Good luck

GrahfZilla said...

Well I can't find the fm towns version on emule and I wasn't able to procure myself a cart of the SMS version at the right price.

So really I didn't have much of a choice. I didn't try the game with an older version of Dosbox though, maybe it's a problem with the new 0.70 version.

Eh, I just went on the website they have released a new version, 0.71. Maybe that'd work better? I'll try it out.