Saturday, September 8, 2007

Ultima V review and notes

I will start by answering the comments I received in my last post:

I will play through the Undeworlds and I also plan to play the two Runes of Virtue games.

I will play Ultima IX twice. The first time I will play the original version, the second time I will play the game with the dialogue, economy and monster fan patches.

I also plan to play through the NES version of Ultima III since I bought it and will also play Ultima V Lazarus. I will play those three games (Ultima III NES, Ultima V Lazarus and Ultima IX with patches) at the end as the final three games.

This is how it is going to be I think:

U6 (Yeah I guess I'm leaning towards playing it before the two Worlds of Ultima game now that I've thought about it)

RoV1

RoV2

SE

MD

UW1

U7

UW2

U7-2

U8

U9

Ultima III NES

Ultima V Lazarus

Ultima IX with fan patches



There's also an Ultima VI remake in the works but I doubt it's going to be finished by the time I'm done. But if it is I'll play it.

I could play Ultima III NES earlier, but I want to put some distance between the two times I am going to play Ultima IX so I'd rather put it there.

Okay so I'll paste my review of Ultima V here:


Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny




"An incredible leap over Ultima IV

Ultima V is a thoroughly impressive game. It takes everything Ultima IV brought to the table and polishes it many times over. If this is a sample of what is to come then I am truly excited.

Unlike Ultima IV there is actually a story in this one, one of total chaos to boot. Lord British is gone, Blackthorn is reigning supreme and the shadowlords are running amok. Throughout the game there is that heavy feeling of oppressiveness which is really well done for a 1988 game. The fact that the early game is incredibly tough contributes greatly to this feeling; early on you have no idea what you're supposed to do and feel very lost. Help is hard to get because everyone is scared of Blackthorn, the guards who are enforcing the new laws or the shadowlords themselves. The general gameplay is pretty similar to the previous game. You need to talk to people, gather hints, solve clues, find objects and solve the game. At first the amount of speech is overwhelming but you soon find out that it is only a facade, they don't really talk more than in Ultima IV they just pad out what they are saying more. The text is also much better written and lively which makes the hint gathering portion of the game much more enjoyable.

It's still not perfect though. Although the dialogue is much better written, it is incredibly dry. I don't think I've ever felt a hint of an emotion while playing this game. There's a part where you go down the underworld and talk to a shipwrecked captain. He tells you his story of having killed his shipmates while under the influence of the shards, causing them to become the shadowlords. Now in a modern game that would have been an absolutely gripping confession, but in Ultima V it is said so blandly that it didn't elicit much of an emotional response from me. The whole game is like that, total lack of emotional involvement. This truly drags the story down a couple of notches. There is also a lack of reaction to your accomplishments. No one notices that you've killed the shadowlords, no one compliments you on a job well done. Without the shadowlords Blackthorn should go back to normal, and even if Lord British had been lost forever Britannia could have strived under a new ruler or the council. Still no one notices that the shadowlords are gone, it is sort of a bummer.

This game also introduced night cycles. It is a good idea however it can be a pain sometimes. Simply put, nothing happens during the night. Very few NPC's are awake during that time, so the only thing you can do yourself is sleep. I've played this game for 7 months and 6 days of in game time and most of it was spent sleeping to skip the nights. The concept is good but it needs to be executed better in the future. The world of Britannia is much richer in this game. The castle of Lord British has suburbs and there's keeps and huts scattered throughout the land. This makes traveling more fun than it used to be because you're always stumbling on something new. The dungeons are greatly improved. Most of these improvements are graphical; dungeons are now fully detailed, each sporting a different look than the next. They also feel less maze like, but that could be an illusion stemming from the fact that the added clarity of the graphics makes them easier to navigate. At the bottom of the dungeons there is a new landmass called the underworld. It has the same exact proportions than the overworld and is quite fun to go through. The monsters are really tough and come at you often. You also don't see much around you down there and everything is hilly so you often have to follow a set path. It definitely feels different but to me that was one of the strongest part of the game, I loved going down there.

So far I've only been heaping praise on the game so why the 7.5? Well obviously this game is old. The graphics are good, I sort of like them. At this point you could say that they are "simple but clean". However, this is the fifth game in the series that has been using the same overall graphics engine and it is starting to wear thin. Luckily it is also the last. I'm tired of all that black!

The battles are better than in Ultima IV but they're also somewhat more annoying. In Ultima IV everything was way too easy, monsters were simply XP fodder, it was a contest of who can kill what faster. There was absolutely no challenge to the battles. Think about it, near the end of the game my party was put to sleep for about 30 minutes by reapers, and the surrounding monsters weren't able to finish us off since they couldn't hit us even while we were sleeping. If something like that happened in Ultima V, my whole party would be dead within 20 seconds. That is a good thing.

But there is also some bad. Your characters are incredibly inaccurate and they often hit your own party members rather than the monsters. I could understand at level 1, but level 8? How can a maxed out level 8 avatar throw his magic axe sideways, hitting his teammate, instead of forward? It seems to get worse when everyone is crammed closely with the monsters, it's not uncommon for your party to be hitting each other more often than the monsters.

Even when they're not hitting each other they might miss like crazy. At one point my 29 DEX avatar missed a mongbat like 6 times in a row. Just imagine how much the other party members were missing. A reason for might be to focus on magical spells. Simply put, magic is devastating. I don't want to imagine how hard the last dungeon would have been without eight level spells.

The music in Ultima V is absolutely astounding. Granted I am using the music patch for the PC version, you'd have to be an idiot to play the game without it. The music has none of the problems found in the previous games. It doesn't feel repetitive like in Ultima III and the songs are great across the board unlike Ultima IV. Ultima V also marks the introduction of the traditional Ultima soundtrack with 'stones' and the like which is quite pleasant. Overall I loved the music.

I think I've pretty much covered it. In the end this game is really close to an 8/10, which is a 'Great' game according to Gamespot's ratings. A higher rating wouldn't have been achievable for this game because it is simply too old, I'm not giving an 8.5 or a 9 to a game this ancient, except if the game was absolutely perfect from a gameplay standpoint. It isn't but it is pretty close, at one point during the game I was loving it so much that I thought about giving it an 8.5. In 1988, this game was a surefire 10, no doubt about it, especially since at the time no one would have been looking for a deeper, more emotional story. To me though, Ultima V is the first truly great Ultima."

END OF REVIEW

I really hesitated between an 8 or a 7.5 but I eventually settled on the latter. Usually when I hesitate on a score I like to give the lower score. In Gamespot's old review system I would have given a 7.9 or 7.8 to Ultima V but you can't do that anymore.

So there it is! I'll probably play Ultima VI next so stay tuned!

5 comments:

Natreg said...

Just an 8 to Ultima V? I'll always give it myself a 10. Best game ever :)


Well, if you are gonna play Ultima VI next, I must warn you about something.

There is an orb in the intro of the game that you can use for travel long distances in the game... I suggest you do not use it unless you want to go to a Town or LB's castle... you can avoid half the plot with it...

I have a friend, Dino the Dark Dragon, who played this game using the orb and he later discovered he missed a big subquest in the game.


btw I was wondering why are you gonna play the nes Ultima III? besides graphics and some minor plot differences, it's the same as Ultima III for the PC. The only radically different Ultima games on console are Ultima V for the nes, Ultima VII for the snes, and Savage Empire for the snes (their gameplay is totally differemt, and Ultima VII's plot is totally different). I really don't recomend you those games (even less if you play the originals lol)

GrahfZilla said...

I didn't give an 8 to Ultima V, I gave it a 7.5 :)

It was a clear 10 it 1988 for sure or nothing less than a 9.5 but in 2007 it doesn't quite reach that status.

I gave a 5.5 to Ultima IV so it is a great improvement over it however there's a lot of things that could have been better still.

It was a hard review to write because I was criticizing it for being old which isn't really fair. Considering the time in which it was made Ultima V is possibly the best game it could be, so it is a bit harsh to say " Well Ultima V was the best game of its time in 1988 but it is not so today" but that is exactly what I am saying.

7.5 is a great score for a 1988 game, I've rated a lot of modern games lower then that :D

Anonymous said...

I agree with your review in pretty much every point - including the score.
Especially your remark that the plot is there, the devices are there (NPCs, locations, objects) but there is *still* no emotional story-telling hits the mark.

Well, as you said yourself - its 20 years old game and this pretty much was the "gold standard" at the time.

The only available games with some emotional content at all were a few (text-only) adventures. And even then the dialogues mostly weren't verbose and the plots often weren't really elaborate.

Today we have movielike cutscenes with a powerful 3D-engine that even allows the NPCs to show lipsynched mouth-movements...

Re "same engine since the beginning":

No it wasn't, technically, but it's still tile-based.
You probably know that the first five Ultimas were developed first and foremost on an Apple II with an 8-bit CPU.
In fact Richard Garriott pressed to give each and every Ultima a new, better game engine than its predecessor.
Examples are party management in U3, line-of-sight algorithm in U4 and the more detailed game world with objects in U5.
In contrast another series - Wizardry - didn't evolve as much.

As I understand Origins main concern at those days were to get the next installment ready for shipping - they needed from 12 to 18 months for one Ultima which was a long time back then (today this is rather short for a big scale RPG). AFAIK Origin mainly lived from the Ultima franchise and not from other products.

Changing the target system would've lengthened the development process inacceptably long.

The Apple version encompasses eight (!) floppy disk sides and of course they can't be put on harddisk (not that there were many at the time ;-)
So playing this version was "tiresome" even then.

In consequence they correctly abandoned the venerable platform for U6 and went PC with VGA and harddisk - the only sensible choice for an US software house at the time.
As a German games magazine wrote in a U6-review at the time:
"the graphics are still undeniably Ultima-like"
but they also wrote
"you can nearly count the blades of gras, you can see the holes in the cheese" ;-)

take care
Calibrator

GrahfZilla said...

Ah yes, that was a mistake from my part on the engine comment. I should have said "kept the same look since the beginning". Like I said to a friend, the difference between Ultima V and VI is COLORS! So many more colors :D

As for the review, in the end I am a product of the old gamespot review system. Gamespot has always been my favorite review site since 1997 and I'm really used to the way they scored reviews, in that they really took under account the graphics, sound, gameplay and value of a game to reach their scores.

The problem with such as system is that it doesn't work well for old games since the graphics, sound and even the gameplay will be ancient thus resulting in a low score. They changed their system recently in that they removed the individual stats but I'm still stuck in the past.

Anonymous said...

Ah, well if you like complex and emotional tales of oppression, you're really gonna dig Avernum. By the time you get the chance to stick it to the bad guys, you'll really be wanting to make them squirm. None of this INSERT CARD, DEACTIVATE EXODUS stuff.

And if you thought the underworld was "quite fun", LOL...you ain't seen nothing yet.

I note you didn't go into any of the ethical content of the game. U5 was a step ahead of previous games in this way also. Instead of the black-and-white virtues/vices depicted in U4, Blackthorne's perversions of the virtues were plausible, if extreme. The moral being: avatars are not zealots; extremism betrays the virtuous balance that the avatar promotes. That's pretty sophisticated for a videogame.