Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Closure

So as soon as I'm back, I'm gone.

Yes, I am here to announce that I am shutting down this blog. Well, not shutting down per say, but I will stop to post here.

I'm doing it because I don't feel like playing Ultima. I came back to Ultima VI not because I felt like playing it, but because I had a blog to update and 'fans' waiting for my return. At this point I've played about 4-5 hours of Ultima VI (I had day 4 coming but decided to write this instead) in my comeback and I'm just not feeling it. My mind is filled with thoughts of trying out that new Xbox 360 driving wheel I got way back during the summer and haven't yet had the chance to try, it's also filled with thoughts of playing some JRPG's, which I haven't done for quite a while.

Really, when I stopped because of college I just lost the beat and moved on to other things, and for the time being I don't feel like going back.

I will play Ultima again, for sure. For me, things are always in a continuous looping motion, which means that I always end up where I started. It could take two or three years, but at a certain point I'll think "hey, how about going back to Ultima, that might be fun!".

I'm also closing down the blog because of the blog itself. I have to admit that I didn't really enjoy writing the blog. I started it because I thought it would motivate me to play the games. It might have, since I'm not sure I would have forced myself through Ultima II if I didn't have a blog to write, but I know that I wouldn't have needed a blog to play through Ultima V. The blog was kind of time consuming since on average it took me at least an hour per post. And obviously, there's there "Damn, I need to play some Ultima because I have a blog to update".

I just don't want to feel that anymore. If I didn't have a blog, I would have put Ultima on the backburner without really thinking about it, but with the blog I've spent the last couple of months feeling slightly guilty about not playing Ultima. So yeah, with the blog closed down it's going to lift a burden off of my shoulders. I'll be able to indulge in the games I really feel like playing without telling myself that I should be playing something else because I need to blog about it.

Of course that would exclude me starting a blog about any other series.

So does this mean that this blog will never be updated ever again? Not necessarily. When I come back to Ultima, I might post again from time to time, but it won't be in the daily posts format, or maybe I should call it the daily grind format. A big mistake I made is to base my blog on Ophidian Dragon's blog. There are two reasons for this:

1. He really likes to blog
2. He really loves Ultima

Those are two things that I lack. I don't like to blog too much, to me it's more about leaving a trace than about actually enjoying it, and although I like Ultima, like I said in earlier posts, it's just not a natural gaming style for me. I think I talked about this before, but when I was a kid and playing games, I thought it was absolutely ridiculous for a game to require you to do 'work' outside of it, like taking notes or drawing maps. I thought that everything should be included inside the game. And we're talking about a kid playing games in the 80's here, when pretty much every serious game at the time required you to do these sorts of things. I guess it was a visionary thing for me to think, since now every game has an in game journal and an in game automap, and you can be pretty sure that if a game somehow 'forgot' to include these features that it would be lambasted by the gaming media and the players alike.

My affection for Ultima comes mostly from the fact that I grew up watching my dad play it. When I was three years old, sometimes I had pretty bad nightmares. My dad would pick me up, sit me down next to him, and ask me to listen to the Ultima III overworld music, telling me how beautiful it was. And yeah I loved it. So most of my nostalgia comes from that, but it also comes from Ultima Online, which I really played only for a month during christmas 1997/1998, but I loved it so much during that month that I played it during every waking hour, which meant I would get up, play UO until I had to go to bed. I did that during a full month and basically burned out on it :D But it was really really magical for a time, and I think it's also part of my Ultima nostalgia.

But, the most important thing to notice here, is that my nostalgia or my interest in the series doesn't really come from me actually playing the games. I played Ultima I to IV as a kid, I sort of liked them but couldn't undertstand them very well so I just went through the motions.

So yeah, what I'm trying to say here, is that I may love Ultima as...a representation of my past, but from a gameplay standpoint, I merely only like it. For me I really prefer games with more structure than that, I like a strong quest oriented system with specific goals.

And Ultima VI has flaws, oh man does it. I think they are that much more apparent to me now that I'm not in the mood to actually play it, but remember when I complained way back when that the closed up view made it nearly impossible to explore? Well god damn I wasn't kidding. I'm HATING that camera at the moment. Try to find a specific building in those towns I dare ya. How many times have I looked for the INN and couldn't find it? That's just...I wouldn't say inexcusable, this is a 1990 game after all, and they surely sacrificed a lot of thing to get that graphics engine in there, but I would say this: It's a freaking pain in the ass. And the fact that now each city spells specific equipment, and you can only sell back equipment to a store that actually sells it, is another pain. That means that if you want to unload a bit and make money, you'd have to run around the kingdom to sell your stuff to the shops who are willing to buy it from you.

And the spells? Darn. Now you need to look for specific people who sell specific spells. What happened to the time when all you needed were reagents, the words of power and high enough MP to cast the spell?

Oh well. Yeah like I said, I'm not feeling it, I think that's clear by now :)

So what am I gonna play now? Heck man I don't know. That's a hard one. There was a series I really liked to play back in the 90's, the strike series. It's basically a game where you control an helicopter, complete missions and the like. At the time it was innovative because it used cutscenes during mission which was rare for action games. It also had a dynamic system in which mission goals could change on the fly during a mission. I really feel like going back to that so I'm looking to get my hands on the first three games in the series, for the Sega Genesis : Desert Strike, Jungle Strike and Urban Strike.

I also have a JRPG itch I need to scratch, so I'll probably go old school again and take a stab at the first Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System. I already own that one so no need to look for it. The new Ace Attorney game for the Nintendo DS, Apollo Justice, came out last month and I have yet to get it. So I'm going to look out for that.

Ever since Gamespot went down the gutter I've been looking for a new site to host my reviews on. It took me a while, but I'll probably start posting reviews on mobygames. So look out for a GrahfZilla there. Also I have another blog on blogger at pospeaks.blogspot.com , but I don't really update it often. You know, me and blogs.. :D

I'll still be looking out for potential messages on this blog, so if you leave any I'll be sure to see em. So yeah, it was fun for a while, but now I'm looking for my fun elsewhere. Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it!

GrahfZilla.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, for one, really enjoyed your blog and I'm sorry to see it go. However, I totally understand your reasons for quitting. I've thought about a blog now & then before but realized --- I really just like playing the games if & when I like!

Gardener

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aluguel de Computadores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aluguel-de-computadores.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

For Ultima Online Cheats Ultima Online Exploits and UO Gold dupes click here.

Anonymous said...

I also enjoyed your blog, enough to try to attempt to same thing myself.

I understand your reasons for stopping, I think to really enjoy these games now you have to of been there at the time so you get the full nostalgic effect. If its not still fun its not worth continuing but I hope you pick it up again sometime.

I'm now blogging my way through all the games also - up to Ultima 3 so far.

Anonymous said...

Perfectly legitimate reasons to love a game in the way that you do, and exactly the right reasons for taking a breather. Myself, I'm 90% of the way through Avernum 4 and I haven't touched it since last December. I LOVE that game but right now I'm just not feeling it, and I'm not going to spoil it by forcing myself to play. I know perfectly well that the day I do go back, I'll be so rested that I'll probably wind up finishing it off in three marathon sessions and buying the next one the same day. And I'll always remember it, so I want to be in the right frame of mind.

Journaling, even if you love it, can suck the joy out of anything. I've started so many journals and abandoned them that it eventually dawned on me that that's their only real purpose: to give you an outlet for excess passion, and then fade out as you learn other ways to channel the excitement. Once a blog no longer helps you focus your attention and make sense of the things you're doing, then you've probably internalized those things and can do them on the fly. Mission accomplished.

Still, there's a lot of fun in showing off the highlights of your life. In the case of game-blogging, that's especially easy since there's a natural impulse to screen-cap the most meaningful moments in a game. When and if you return to this journal, I suspect it will be as a travelogue rather than a minute-by-minute log of the adventure.

Thanks for sharing your insights. Your perspective is distinct from Ophidian's, for precisely the reasons you cite, and that made them worth reading even when you covered similar ground.

Slain said...

I enjoyed your blog, a few days ago I've become a reader of this blog and I love it!
Sry for my bad english...
cheers

DJAd said...

Dam you didn't get to Ultima VII which is my favourite!
Great blog though.

Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry that you prefer those formulaic, linear JRPGs.

Anonymous said...

Right now i've been playing ultima 6 to bring back memories when i was a little child watcing my oldest cousin played it.

Now as an adult, I don't have much time to play games, and when I decided to start a new game, I ALWAYS finish it, either by walkthoughs or cheating. Otherwise I can't stop thinking about that game. Thanks for the blog :)

David

Anonymous said...

I wish not approve on it. I over nice post. Specially the title-deed attracted me to read the whole story.

Anonymous said...

i seriously adore your own posting choice, very attractive,
don't give up as well as keep creating since it simply that is worth to read it,
impatient to look at alot more of your current posts, have a pleasant day :)

Anonymous said...

make money online [url]http://www.333eur.com/[/url]

Anonymous said...

resource for [b]download software for windows[/b] is available at:

download software for windows
[url=http://www.downloadsoftwareforwindows]download software for windows[/url]

[url=http://www.downloadsoftwareforwindows/products/download-ipod-video-converter/productpage.php]download ipod video converter[/url]

download tetris

Anonymous said...

Hi PPL, i would just like to make an introduction to the members at ultimatrip.blogspot.com

I must call it a wonderful message board, I barely care to read out a complete forum section but this message board got my interest and believe me, That?s unusual.

I was looking for some information and was searching on Orange search engine for it. I visited each of the top ten pages that came up but didn?t get any relevant result... I then luckily found your diamond forum in the dirt and thought to check it out. This is just what I was looking for - what a magnificent find!

Thanks peepz at ultimatrip.blogspot.com and keep the sensational effort up!!

[color=#5588aa][URL=http://www.sporting-supplements.co.uk/]Whey Protein[/URL] [URL=http://www.sporting-supplements.co.uk/Maximuscle-Cyclone-1200g]Maximuscle Cyclone[/URL] [URL=http://www.sporting-supplements.co.uk/Sporting-Goods]Sporting Goods[/URL] [URL=http://www.sporting-supplements.co.uk/]Sports Supplements[/URL] [URL=http://www.sporting-supplements.co.uk/USN]USN[/URL] [/color]

Anonymous said...

Awesome site, I hadn't come across ultimatrip.blogspot.com earlier in my searches!
Carry on the fantastic work!

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the link - but unfortunately it seems to be not working? Does anybody here at ultimatrip.blogspot.com have a mirror or another source?


Thanks,
Mark

Anonymous said...

Arian Foster Navy Jersey axiotakix
Jimmy Graham Jersey axiotakix
Russell Wilson Jersey axiotakix
http://www.authenticnikeredskinsjersey.com/redskins_sean_taylor_jersey_nike-c-9_13.html

Anonymous said...

Now, let us imagine you have Frawn on this purchaser that is genuinely impresseF with what he/ she FinFs on your own internet site anF wants [url=http://www.germanylovelv.com/]Louis Vuitton Outlet/[/url]
buy a thing. Nonetheless, when this customer goes For the checkout by means oF your buying cart system, he/she FinFs that the methoF oF charge isn't any appropriate anF thereFore has the acquisition canceleF. A major Fecline http://www.germanylovelv.com/
you A very important aFvertising anF marketing methoF is [url=http://www.germanylovelv.com/]Louis Vuitton Outlet[/url]
have an increFible cost on your solutions or service[url=http://www.germanylovelv.com/]Louis Vuitton Outlet/[/url]
This aFvertising anF marketing methoF is unFoubteFly an complete have to. IF your prices aren't gooF, you can never ever have any busines[url=http://www.germanylovelv.com/]louis vuitton knolckoffs[/url]
Although the two terms are sometimes maFe use oF interchangeable, telemarketing will not be similar to telesale[url=http://www.germanylovelv.com/]Louis Vuitton kopierte Tasche kaufen[/url]
Telemarketing is FocuseF extra on promoting a moFel or services rather then Firect sale[url=http://www.germanylovelv.com/]Louis Vuitton Outlet[/url]
It is actually a promoting system that works nicely For attaining potential customers anF options while telesales is FocuseF on closing the Feal.
|
|

Anonymous said...

Also that we would do without your brilliant phrase
I congratulate, what words..., a brilliant idea
It is very a pity to me, I can help nothing, but it is assured, that to you will help to find the correct decision. Do not despair.
In it something is. I will know, many thanks for an explanation.
Like attentively would read, but has not understood

[url=http://michaelkorsoutlet0.manifo.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.purevolume.com/listeners/michaelkorscheap234095/posts/332109/Fashion+and+Handbags][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://cheapmichaelkors0.blog.fc2blog.net/blog-entry-1.html][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyipo.webstarts.com/?r=20130117014857][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://mvpmichaelkorsoutlet2.webnode.cn/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]

Anonymous said...

If you are going for best contents like myself,
only visit this web site everyday because it provides quality
contents, thanks

My site: http://torontowinetasting.com/

Anonymous said...

Make certain each material which touches your face is clean to aid battle acne breakouts. Your tshirt, scarf, cap, pillowcase, or encounter material needs to be newly laundered if you are considering getting it touch your epidermis. This can make certain that old gas or microorganisms isn't reinfecting your pores, ultimately causing acne. [url=http://www.x21w12w21.info]App766udi[/url]